For Free consultation Call or Whatsapp
Fallopian tubes are tube like structure between the ovaries and the uterus. These are also called salpinges or uterine tubes. These tubes lead the eggs form the ovaries to the uterus. Fertilization of the egg and sperm happens in the tube, and then the embryo formed goes in the uterus where it implants.
Thus tubes are extremely important for fertilization and for making the egg and sperm come together.
What is tubal block or blocked tubes?
Some women are unable to conceive due to tubal block. In these women the fallopian tubes are blocked. Fallopian tubes are the area fertilization takes place. Egg from the ovary is collected in the fallopian tube. Sperm reached the egg in the tube and fertilization occurs. The picture bellow shows the fertilization in the tubes.
In case if the fallopian tube is blocked there will be no fertilization and hence the couple will not conceive.
On the bright side though couples who are facing a problem in conceiving due to blocked tubes will have the highest success rate in IVF.
What are the reasons for tubal block?
- Endometriosis: this is a condition in which the endometrial tissue passes through the tubes and goes out on the ovaries. Due to this the endometrial tissue builds tissue collects in the tubes leading to tubal block.
- Pelvic inflammatory disease: In this case the tubes get infected due to infection in the surrounding areas hydrosalpinx occur. Hydrosalpinx is when the tubes are filled with infected fluid and can be seen on sonography.
- Ectopic pregnancies: Sometimes the pregnancy is in the tube this is known as ectopic pregnancy. There are cased due to minor infection in the tubes. When an ectopic pregnancy is removed scars are left and they can cause tubal block.
- Fibroids: Huge fibroids generally supress the tube and cause tubal block.
- Any past surgery: Any past previous surgery can also cause tubal block. These surgeries lead to pelvic adhesions.
Can women with tubal block conceive?
Women with tubal block can conceive with the help of IVF. Tubes are the place in the human body where fertilization occurs. If the tubes are infected or damaged, then fertilization can be done outside in the lab. Women with tubal block have the highest success rate in IVF.